I can totally relate to Tracey’s blog post about the first two weeks of prac! Check it out here. I don’t think I have ever been so tired as I have been these last two weeks! I have a long weekend to catch up on sleep because it is a bank holiday here Monday :). However, I’m feeling much more confident after two weeks like Kelsie and I know that I am going to miss it when it comes to an end.
It has been such a long time since my last prac that I really did lack a lot of confidence when I first started and was very worried and anxious. I think that the possibility to learn on the job is the only way forward and I am happy to have the opportunity to do so.
So I gained the title of ICT Guru on Prac, which couldn’t be further from the truth but it was quite funny. I did have the opportunity to meet the real ICT Guru at the school however. This was invaluable and we were able to talk through the possibilities of using ICTs at the school to engage the children’s learning.
He introduced me to an apple app called “show me”(I’m not sure if it is available on android but I imagine it would be). It is an app that turns your iPhone or iPad into an interactive whiteboard. Go here to find our more. I used it as an assessment tool when I did a unit on money. I was able to download coin images from the internet which the children could sort into size and value and they were also able to record or write their understandings with this app. It was means of assessing that they could recognise and describe the features of the coins and know that the value of the coin is not related to its size.
So having taken the advice that we should check our resources before the lesson because there could be issues with the school firewall blocking access to certain sites on the internet, I began to set everything up and logged onto the computer connected to the IWB. The plan was to minimise the pages that I needed making it easy to access during the lesson. However, like Kay who was having technical issues, it became apparent to me that the computer was not allowing flash player and obviously needed updating. Unfortunately, an update still didn’t work and I was still unable to access the resources I had planned to show the children via the IWB. Fortunately, the little notepads that the children were going to use did work and I was able to connect one of the notepads to the IWB. Stress levels went up but it got sorted in the end and thank goodness I was prepared before the lesson or it could have been a disaster.